Got yourself locked out of your Nexus 7, or any other Android device?
In this post we take a quick look at how to recover your password. Don’t worry we’ll get you back into your tablet in no time!
Recovering Your Lock Screen Password
The question was actually put to me via a comment in this post. There are a few options if you find yourself locked out of your tablet.
Let’s step through each of them in turn.
Recover Your Password
If your device is tied to a Google account and you can still get into the account then you should have no problems getting back into your device.
Just follow these steps:
- Guess the password a few times, after five attempts or so it should lock you out temporarily.
- At the bottom right of the screen you should now see a “Forgot Pattern” link, press it!
- Enter your Google account Username and Password and hit Sign In
- You’ll now have the option to select a new password or unlock pattern
- Confirm your new password and don’t forget it this time!
There’s an App for that
It is also possible to download apps that will bypass the lock screen or allow you to do a reset. This is possible because one of the cool things about Android is that it allows you to deploy apps remotely onto your device.
- Login to the Play Store
- Search for an app, I can’t recommend anything personally so read the reviews and please report back how you get on. One example would be.
- Send the app to the locked device
- Let it work its magic
The most drastic approach is to perform a factory reset. Unfortunately this will result in the wiping of all data on your Nexus tablet or phone. But that’s OK, because you’ve backed it all up to the cloud, haven’t you?
If not, then you’ll need to investigate ways to recover important data first, at this point you might want to call Google for some official support, or pay for an expert to take a look. You can also try your luck in our forum.
- Click through here to see how to reset your device.
- Remember, this will wipe data.